“I stink at math.”
“I’ve never been athletic.”
“I’m not a good public speaker.”
Ideas that one has developed over time for themselves that stop them from even trying a perceived challenge are also known as LIMITING BELIEFS. Tony Robbins says, “Limiting beliefs are the stories we tell ourselves about who we are that hold us back from becoming who we are meant to be.”
A limiting belief can hinder new opportunities and life experiences, all while wreaking havoc on mental health. That’s why it’s so important to work on self-awareness and self-esteem. Yoga can be a powerful tool for overcoming limiting beliefs by addressing both the physical and mental aspects of a person’s well-being.
Here are some ways in which yoga has been known to help individuals overcome limiting beliefs:
- Increased self-awareness: Through yoga practice, individuals develop a heightened sense of self-awareness. They learn to observe their thoughts, emotions, and physical sensations without judgment. This self-awareness allows them to recognize and challenge limiting beliefs as they arise.
- Mind-body connection: Yoga emphasizes the integration of mind and body. By engaging in physical postures (asanas), individuals learn to connect with their bodies and become more familiar with their sensations and feelings. This connection helps to cultivate a greater understanding of oneself and can reveal the underlying causes of limiting beliefs.
- Breath awareness: Yoga places a strong emphasis on conscious breathing. By focusing on the breath during yoga practice, individuals learn to regulate their breathing patterns and calm the mind. This practice can help individuals gain control over their thoughts and emotions, allowing them to challenge and reframe limiting beliefs more effectively.
- Challenging comfort zones: A yoga class involves stretching, balancing, and holding challenging postures. By pushing past physical comfort zones, individuals develop mental resilience and learn to overcome self-imposed limitations. This process can translate into a greater ability to confront and overcome limiting beliefs in other areas of life off the mat.
- Cultivating mindfulness: Yoga encourages present-moment awareness and mindfulness. By practicing mindfulness, individuals learn to observe their thoughts and beliefs without getting caught up in them. This enables individuals to recognize when limiting beliefs arise and consciously choose alternative, empowering thoughts and perspectives.
- Building self-confidence: As individuals progress in their yoga practice, they develop strength, flexibility, and balance. These physical achievements can translate into increased self-confidence and a sense of empowerment. This newfound confidence can spill over into other areas of life, helping individuals challenge and overcome limiting beliefs at home, at work or in social situations.
- Creating positive affirmations: In yoga, positive affirmations or intentions are often integrated into the practice. By repeating affirmations that counter limiting beliefs, individuals can reprogram their subconscious mind and replace negative thought patterns with more empowering ones.
It’s important to note that there is no quick-fix solution to overcoming limiting beliefs, and consistent yoga practice and self-reflection are important to successful progress. Not sure how to start this journey of pushing beyond through engaging in regular yoga practice? We think you will find Yoga Body Shop is the just the place. We aren’t just a workout facility that offers yoga classes. We are a passionate community of yogis that support one another in living a more balanced, healthier and happier life. Join us for the summer, by enjoying unlimited yoga through August 31st with our Summer Special.