While Yoga Body Shop is the area’s original hot yoga studio and the area’s most innovative studio, we are here to serve our community in all areas of their yoga practice.
In Ancient Chinese philosophy, YIN and YANG is a concept of dualism, describing how opposite or contrary forces may actually be complementary, interconnected, and interdependent. Most yoga practices are ‘Yang style’. These styles are designed to revive the spirt and make the yogi feel alive through breathing and movement. Yet, it is equally important to the yogi’s health to focus on the YIN. For this reason, Yoga Body Shop is dedicated to offering Yin Yoga classes to our community.
What is Yin Yoga?
Yin Yoga is a slower meditative practice, more for joints rather than muscles. Because the yogi is holding poses for a more extended time, Yin Yoga helps one to stretch and lengthen rarely-used tissues and joints. The extended holds allow the yogi to breathe through discomfort and sit with their thoughts. With Yin Yoga, the goal isn’t to move through postures freely; it’s to hold poses for multiple minutes. This more intimate practice also allows the yogi to get in touch with their self—their feelings, sensations and emotions.
What benefits does Yin Yoga provide?
Yin Yoga applies gentle, healthy stress to our joints and a soft stretch to our connective tissues. In addition, yogis that engage in Yin Yoga regularly will find the following benefits:
- Increase in circulation and improved flexibility
- Improved joint mobility
- A deeper relaxation
- Calm and balance of the mind and body
- Reduced stress and anxiety
- A balance to the organs through meridian stimulation—a stimulus of the
rivers of energy running throughout the body.
Yin Yoga targets connective tissues, such as the ligaments, bones, and even body joints, that are not exercised as much in a more active—Yang—style of asana practice. The euphoric reaction to a Yin Yoga session is comparable to those after receiving a massage or acupuncture.
Who is Yin Yoga best for?
- Yin Yoga is ideal for anyone dealing with injuries or a chronic condition like arthritis or osteoporosis. Yogis will find this style is a more restorative practice than other forms of exercise.
- While athletes may be more intrigued with the Yang style of yoga due to the pace of the practice, Yin Yoga is an excellent cross-training tool for athletes. It offers a counterbalance to the effort required and tension created by high-intensity training. Yin Yoga is designed to alleviate stiffness and restore healthy range of motion so that the athlete can maximize training time and performance potential.
- Yin Yoga has been found to be effective in programs for those suffering from addictions, eating disorders, anxiety and trauma. The meditative element equips the yogi with tools to be with their feelings and sensations without reacting.
The Yoga Body Shop family is here to help our community successfully navigate the journey of self-discovery, and explore their potential, both physically and mentally. We offer multiple classes and yoga experiences—both YIN and YANG—to help prepare our yogis to return to daily life off the mat, stronger and more at peace.
We invite you to come uncover your favorite style of practice—YIN or YANG—by joining our community on the mat! Click to review our upcoming class schedule.